Reversing Type 2 Diabetes and the Real Benefits of a Long, Healthy Life.
Why I do it.
Yes, I know I am not my number, but I felt that I was again in reversing type 2 diabetes mode. My number this morning was good, so I am good. I am in the no-questions-asked safe zone again so I feel generally good about myself this morning. I did not pull out on the the street on my bike muttering to myself. Assuming there was light enough and there was a camera taking my picture, I would be shown with a big old smile on my face as I started my bike ride.
That got me started think about the fragility of life. I had type 2 diabetes that if left untreated could cause heart disease, stroke, dementia, neurapathy,kidney and liver problems, or retinal problem. I beat it. That is why I get up in the predawn hours and join the other cyclists, joggers and dog walkers. Truth be told, my natural inclination is to stay in bed the morning and pig out a lot at during the day .
I like to think that I added a lot of happy, healthy and productive years to my life. Yet, no matter what I do for my health and now matter how well I do it, I will fail some day. Then a car came up behind me and I started to pay attention to it and when it passed I was on to other things.
The prospect of a long happy, healthy and productive life does make looking at pretty ladies like the one pictured here, something to look forward to, doesn’t it? And best of all, I have my own version right at home, the Charming Mrs. SWMBO.
So I ride and mind my diet.
- Fasting Blood Glucose Level: 97 mg/dl. Normal again. Today I want to be that number.
- Weight: 187 lbs. Closer to 186, but want to be conservative.
- Exercise: 45 minutes in some really humid air, even for Houston.
- Mood: 7.5. Meh
- Breakfast: Oatmeal with craisin and the usual morning fruit medley. My whole minimum DASH diet fruit allotment in one bowl.
- Lunch: A grilled chicken salad and some sweet cherries. The cherries contain
- Dinner: The Thursday Special, pizza (one slice), salad and Heidi Klum on Project Runway after the yard is mowed and cleaned up for the weekend.
- Snacks: A few almonds.