Chicken Chickpea Salad, Easy with Endless Variations
Romaine lettuce is key to this
This diabetic friendly recipe comes courtesy of the Ambitious Kitchen.
This was a really tasty find for us and it’s also easy to make and that counts for a lot. If you want to make it vegetarian, cut out the chicken and add another can of beans of some variety, black beans or pinto beans are good choices and for vegan, drop the chicken and the cheese.
While you can vary this to your hearts content, the heart of this salad is romaine lettuce. Yes, that is a really bad pun. Stick with the romaine, unless you don’t want to.
Really, this reminds me of an updated variation of the Cobb Salad. Have fun with it.
Healthy Chicken Chickpea Chopped Salad
- 2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped
- 1 cup pulled cooked chicken breast
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (I use frozen, grilling it is great if you have the time and a quick saute works, too)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (I use a Mexican Queso Fresco, it’s cheaper and tasty)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup BBQ dressing, if desired
- In a large bowl add lettuce, top with all ingredients except for avocado and BBQ dressing. Toss salad gently.
- Place into cold salad bowls. Garnish with diced avocado and drizzle with BBQ dressing if desired. Serve with low-fat corn tortilla strips.
The BBQ dressing called for is just your favorite BBQ sauce. I like to use a basic French vinaigrette and you can use whatever dressing you prefer. Sometime a BBQ sauce can have too much sweet stuff in it, but trying this salad with BBQ sauce is tempting.
While this diabetic friendly recipe is great for summer, it’s been relatively warm here in Houston (I’m not complaining, trust me) and this still if a fine, filling dish for a weekday supper.